You are posting a comment about...
Cooling Season Maintenance Checklist
Spring is almost here and the weather in Nashville is warming up. Don’t wait for hot weather before your having your air conditioning system checked. Do you remember the blog post last October about Why Air Conditioners Fail on Hot Days. Maybe you read What Makes Air Conditioning Systems Fail. The reasons are pretty simple; dirty filters reducing air flow, faulty contactors, and the starting capacitor. These are the main reasons. Of course there are a lot more things that can go wrong, motor failures, loss of refrigerant, thermostat failures, loose wires, etc. A maintenance check on your cooling system before the hot weather is very important to do every year. The simple things such as changing filters you can do yourself but checking refrigerant takes some expensive tools and training.. Here is a list of items our technicians will check during the spring maintenance call.
- Starting capacitors
- Thermostat operation
- Compressor motor current draw
- Operating refrigerant pressures
- Blower bearings
- Inside blower motor current draw vs. specifications
- Outside blower motor current draw vs. specifications
- Compressor motor current draw vs. specifications
- Basement condensate pump
- Attic condensate pan and drain
- Attic condensate float switch
- Inside coils – clean if necessary
- Attic coils-– clean if necessary
- Outside coils– clean if necessary
- Check outside coils for hail damaged fins
- Safety switches
- Wiring connections
Needless to say it takes time to check all these items so make the summer maintenance call well before summer.