You are sending a link to...
Five Things Home Owners Need to Know about Humidity
- Modern homes are built very tightly so that outside air cannot enter and inside air cannot leave.
- Most modern energy saving gas or oil furnaces have their own air supply via a plastic pipe to the outside.
- Humid air from showers and hot water use has no where go unless steps are taken to exhaust this humid stale air through bathroom fans. However, this air has been heated or cooled by your HVAC system. If it is exhausted to the outside energy is wasted.
- Devices are available that can recover this energy. They are called Heat Recovery Ventilators or Heat Exchangers. They serve a double purpose. They bring in fresh air from outside to replace the humid air being exhausted and at the same time transfer the heat or cold from the exiting air to the incoming air.
- High humidity inside causes many problems like mold in a home besides being uncomfortable.